Genuine Canon 20x HD Video Lens III with Professional L-Series Fluorite
The XH A1S comes with a Genuine Canon 20x HD lens that shows why the name Canon is synonymous with optical excellence.
Canon reserves the L-Series designation for its highest quality photographic lenses. The Professional L Series Fluorite lens of the XH A1S ensures outstanding resolution, contrast and color reproduction, and delivers clarity and image quality you won't see with conventional optical glass lenses. And, because it's an ultra-low dispersion (UD) lens, chromatic aberration is reduced for brilliant results.
The XH A1S's design gives you equally impressive operational performance. The design lets you operate the zoom using the lens barrel ring, the control on the camera's grip, or the control on the camera's handle. When using the zoom ring on the lens, you can control the speed of your zoom by varying the angle of the ring, or by varying the speed at which you rotate the ring. When using the grip control, you can zoom at 16 different speeds; or you can use the control to operate at a single zoom speed which you preset. When using the handle zoom control, you can operate the zoom at a single speed which you preset. You can also select high-speed zoom to increase the zoom speed when using either the grip or handle control. And, because the lens is designed with a zoom ring, you can operate zoom, focus and aperture using a single hand.
This f1.6 - 3.5, 4.5 - 90mm lens gives you a wide view that - at its widest - is equivalent to a 32.5mm focal length lens on a 35mm camera. It also comes with two built-in ND filters, and can be enhanced with an optional wide converter to meet all your needs.
SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer
The XH A1S also comes with Canon's innovative SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS), which combines gyro- and image-sensors to give image stabilization through a wider range of camera motions. Some image stabilization systems correct one type of camera motion or vibration better than another. But Canon's SuperRange OIS corrects for a wide range of camcorder motion: the fast vibration you'd experience while recording from a moving car; the medium-speed motion of hand-held recording; and the slower motion of body sway. No matter what you're recording and how you're recording it, the XH A1S's stabilization design corrects camcorder shake instantly. In addition, optical stabilization keeps your shot steady without a loss in image quality - something that can't be said for electronic image stabilization.
Next best thing to an ENG camera...
I bought this camera to shoot my first documentary. i couldn't afford a crew, so i purchased this camera, separate mike, boom, the works. the image quality is excellent. shooting in manual and making adjustments is easy. everything is right at your fingertips. having xlr inputs and phantom audio is a big plus. i work in the broadcast industry and see more and more broadcast people going out and shooting with this camera. most times it's hard to tell the difference between this one and the high end eng's...
September 8, 2011
XH A1s Review
Canon XH A1s
There are too many positives about this camcorder (in my opinion) to mention, but listed is some pros and cons of
the camcorder (in my opinion).
As of writing this Review, I have owned and used the camcorder for about 6 months.
* High Definition.
* Zoom is impressive (20X) and with Magnify you can even get closer (you will probably want it on a tripod for the Magnify).
* XLR Audio Inputs.
* The Audio Can be Customized for each channel - 1 & 2.
* Image Stabalizer.
* You can take Still Photos at the same time as the Video (it is nice that you do Not have to go into Camera Card
just to take a picture).
* It can film in really low light (at the cost of quality).
* Easy to Operate.
* LCD Screen is nice.
* Many custom controls.
* There are 2 Custom Keys - which you can assign different functions for quick and easy changes.
* It has a Letterbox feature for play the Widescreen video on an old 4:3 TV.
* Being a little bit bigger and heavier then some other camcorders - it does not jerk at the slightest flinch.
* Bigger lens provides a bigger view.
* Camcorder has a Flat Bottom - setting in on a Surface - it is stable.
* The Zoom lever can be set for a Constant or variable Zoom Speed.
* Manual Focus ring, zoom focus ring, iris ring.
* Side Display on Camcoder of Tape Info (nice when you have Displays Turned Off on the LCD Screen/Viewfinder - so you can still see Recording Time, etc.)
* AWB and Custom White Balance.
* There is NO Self Timer (which I have used on the GL2 on other camcorders on a regular basis).
* There is NO Fader (which I have used on the GL2 on other camcorders on a regular basis to fade out or in for the day).
* A lot of Noise in the picture in really low light.
* It does NOT have the Record Search buttons that let you easily Play Back a Scene to a previous time (I used this feature all the time on the Canon GL2 to cut off the end of a scene).
* The Record Review does NOT Play back any Audio (which would be nice to make sure the audio was picked up (without having to go into the VCR Mode and Play it).
* The Letterbox feature is ONLY available on video but Not Still Pictures.
* It does NOT Remember the Letterbox setting (when you turn the camcorder - it resets back to the default setting).
* The Terminal Covers somtimes easily come off - there has been a couple of times that I almost lost a few of them.
* It would be nice if the Date & Time Record (Char Rec) could be turned On or Off via a Custom Key.
* It would be nice if the Search Features worked on the Still Photos (on the memory card) - for instance Date
* It would be nice to assign a Custom Key to bring up the Customize Menu.
* It would be nice to have a 3rd or 4th Custom Key.
* It would be nice to have a Bigger Viewfinder.
NOTE: Do NOT try to use the BP 945 Camcorder Battery that the Downloaded Manual Lists as a Compatible battery - it is Too Tall for the battery compartment.
June 21, 2011
Great camera- good features- spend some time looking at all the custom settings and download custom settings for color from the WEB.
Good lens and picture quality- don't buy the add on wide angle lens- fuzzy optics unless you are up close and you cannot put a UV filter on it.
Don't run on auto if you are between sun and shade- put it on manual or the exposure will pop in and out as objects move. Still learning the camera but I think it is a great machine.
Lastly- if you are going to shoot long events- buy the optional battery
February 9, 2011
Outstanding quality, affordable price, and durability. As a student I had to have competitive equipment, and I had to be frugal. I bought 2. Nuff said!
August 10, 2010