Image, display and the functionality of the camcorder can be customized to suit your preference or application. This customization ensures that your XH A1S fits your creative, production and personal needs and preferences exactly. Settings can be saved to memory for easy retrieval or downloaded into other XH A1S and XH G1S camcorders via an SD memory card.
7 Program AE Modes
A variety of AE modes allow you to take as much or as little control of exposure as you need. Auto and Full Auto modes let you concentrate on your subject and the composition of your shot rather than exposure, or make it easy to maintain exposure during shots with lighting conditions that change. Manual lets you control every aspect of your exposure manually. With Tv priority, you select the shutter to match your subject; for example, you might select a shorter shutter speed for a fast moving subject. With Av priority, you select your aperture; for example, you might want more control over your depth of field. Spotlight gives you the optimal exposure for a brightly lit subject against a darker background. Night mode automatically adjusts exposure parameters to give you the best image possible of video recorded at night.
9 Custom Presets
With the XH A1S, you can make set a variety of image quality adjustments and store them for later use or for exporting to other camcorders. The adjustments include: hue, color gain, sharpness, setup level, color matrix (Normal/CINE1/CINE2), gamma (Normal/CINE1/CINE2), auto knee/knee, black (normal/stretch/press), G gain, B gain, R gain, NR1, NR2, coring, master pedestal, horizontal frequency adjustment, H/V balance, and matrix settings (R-G/R-B/G-R/G-B/B-R/B-G).
With the XH A1S's Custom Functions capability, you can establish the camera settings best suited to your preference. Three custom functions (C.Fn1, C.Fn2 and C.Fn3) are provided. Each custom function allows a total of 21 main items to be selected. All three custom functions can be recorded on a memory card, and can then be downloaded to another camcorder. Items include: Shockless WB/GAIN, AE Response, High-speed Zoom Setting, Focus Ring Response Characteristics, Ring/Dial Operation Direction Settings, Subject Distance Unit Setting, Color Bar Display, Remote Control Codes, and Tally Lamp Settings.
Fine tuning of Gain can be made from 0dB to 18dB, in 0.5dB increments. And, with the +36dB Hypergain function, images can be captured even in the most challenging lighting conditions.
The Custom Display function lets you set 22 display items to create a custom menu to suit your specific needs. Once set, the functions can be recorded on a memory card, and can then be downloaded to another XH A1S or XH G1S camcorder. Items that can be selected include: Record Programs, Camera Data 1, Camera Data 2, Zoom, Focus, Neutral Density, Image Effects, Focus Assist Function, Customize, Recording STD, DV Record Mode, Frame Rate, Tape, Tape Remainder, Tape/Card, Light Metering, Card, Card Remainder, Audio, Condensation, Battery, and Wireless Remote.
1080 HD Capture with 60i, 30F, or 24F Progressive frame rates
The XH A1S delivers 1920 x 1080 HD, with the three Native 16:9 CCDs and the Genuine Canon 20x HD lens and DIGIC DV II Image Processor. They ensure that the XH A1S delivers the superb, high-quality High Definition video with vibrant color, crisp contrast and great detail - what you expect from Canon HD. The XH A1S also offers a full range of choices in selectable frame rates. You can choose between 60i, 30F progressive and 24F progressive settings to achieve just the look you want.
30F Progressive Frame Rate
In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the XH A1S to capture video in 30F (30 progressive frames, recorded in 60i) which is ideal for footage which will be uploaded to the Internet. It is also an excellent choice for capturing fast action shots and sporting events. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording.
24F Progressive Frame Rate
This setting gives a "film look" to the footage you record as the video frame capture rate is 24F, giving the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film.
60i 50i Video Frame Rate Option
With the XH A1S's versatile open-architecture approach, you can even customize your HD camcorder to record in both 60i and 50i (this optional upgrade must be performed by a Canon Factory Service Center).
Next best thing to an ENG camera...
I bought this camera to shoot my first documentary. i couldn't afford a crew, so i purchased this camera, separate mike, boom, the works. the image quality is excellent. shooting in manual and making adjustments is easy. everything is right at your fingertips. having xlr inputs and phantom audio is a big plus. i work in the broadcast industry and see more and more broadcast people going out and shooting with this camera. most times it's hard to tell the difference between this one and the high end eng's...
September 8, 2011
XH A1s Review
Canon XH A1s
There are too many positives about this camcorder (in my opinion) to mention, but listed is some pros and cons of
the camcorder (in my opinion).
As of writing this Review, I have owned and used the camcorder for about 6 months.
* High Definition.
* Zoom is impressive (20X) and with Magnify you can even get closer (you will probably want it on a tripod for the Magnify).
* XLR Audio Inputs.
* The Audio Can be Customized for each channel - 1 & 2.
* Image Stabalizer.
* You can take Still Photos at the same time as the Video (it is nice that you do Not have to go into Camera Card
just to take a picture).
* It can film in really low light (at the cost of quality).
* Easy to Operate.
* LCD Screen is nice.
* Many custom controls.
* There are 2 Custom Keys - which you can assign different functions for quick and easy changes.
* It has a Letterbox feature for play the Widescreen video on an old 4:3 TV.
* Being a little bit bigger and heavier then some other camcorders - it does not jerk at the slightest flinch.
* Bigger lens provides a bigger view.
* Camcorder has a Flat Bottom - setting in on a Surface - it is stable.
* The Zoom lever can be set for a Constant or variable Zoom Speed.
* Manual Focus ring, zoom focus ring, iris ring.
* Side Display on Camcoder of Tape Info (nice when you have Displays Turned Off on the LCD Screen/Viewfinder - so you can still see Recording Time, etc.)
* AWB and Custom White Balance.
* There is NO Self Timer (which I have used on the GL2 on other camcorders on a regular basis).
* There is NO Fader (which I have used on the GL2 on other camcorders on a regular basis to fade out or in for the day).
* A lot of Noise in the picture in really low light.
* It does NOT have the Record Search buttons that let you easily Play Back a Scene to a previous time (I used this feature all the time on the Canon GL2 to cut off the end of a scene).
* The Record Review does NOT Play back any Audio (which would be nice to make sure the audio was picked up (without having to go into the VCR Mode and Play it).
* The Letterbox feature is ONLY available on video but Not Still Pictures.
* It does NOT Remember the Letterbox setting (when you turn the camcorder - it resets back to the default setting).
* The Terminal Covers somtimes easily come off - there has been a couple of times that I almost lost a few of them.
* It would be nice if the Date & Time Record (Char Rec) could be turned On or Off via a Custom Key.
* It would be nice if the Search Features worked on the Still Photos (on the memory card) - for instance Date
* It would be nice to assign a Custom Key to bring up the Customize Menu.
* It would be nice to have a 3rd or 4th Custom Key.
* It would be nice to have a Bigger Viewfinder.
NOTE: Do NOT try to use the BP 945 Camcorder Battery that the Downloaded Manual Lists as a Compatible battery - it is Too Tall for the battery compartment.
June 21, 2011
Great camera- good features- spend some time looking at all the custom settings and download custom settings for color from the WEB.
Good lens and picture quality- don't buy the add on wide angle lens- fuzzy optics unless you are up close and you cannot put a UV filter on it.
Don't run on auto if you are between sun and shade- put it on manual or the exposure will pop in and out as objects move. Still learning the camera but I think it is a great machine.
Lastly- if you are going to shoot long events- buy the optional battery
February 9, 2011
Outstanding quality, affordable price, and durability. As a student I had to have competitive equipment, and I had to be frugal. I bought 2. Nuff said!
August 10, 2010