Firmware Version 1.2.4 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes:
1. Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
2. Reduces the time it takes to display the metering result on the LCD or Viewfinder when the meter has been activated.
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which a "Caution 02" message is unnecessarily recorded in the camera status log.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which continuous shooting pauses when using a Canon Speedlite.
5. Fixes a phenomenon, when the Canon GP-E1 is attached, in which the GPS device settings are reset to default settings when the camera has been powered off.
* This phenomenon occurs only with firmware Version 1.2.1.
* After changing the GPS device settings, please be sure to power off the camera before removing the battery. This will ensure that the camera's GPS device settings will be saved.
Firmware Version 1.2.4 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.2.1 or earlier. If your camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.4, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
* The firmware update takes approximately seven minutes.
When updating the firmware of your camera, please first go over the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
Preparations for the Firmware Update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.dmg file) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.
*Extracting the downloaded file:
The downloaded folder is automatically extracted, and a firmware folder is created. If the download folder cannot be automatically extracted, double-click the folder.
The extracted folder contains the firmware (file name: 1DX00124.FIR / file size: 33,087,068 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese).
Before starting the firmware update operations, please confirm the contents of the download, and carefully read through the firmware update procedures.
(The following is the history of past firmware updates.)
Q: Are the improvements from previous firmware versions included in Firmware Version 1.2.4?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:
(Previous) Version 1.2.1 improvements:
1. The function to disable the Image size selection button has been added.
* Please see the instruction manual "EOS-1D X Firmware Version 1.2.x Additional Function" (PDF file) included in the downloaded firmware 1.2.4 folder for information on how to intentionally disable this button, after the firmware update 1.2.1 has been installed in the camera.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which Err 70 and Err 80 may occur during certain shooting conditions.
(Previous) Version 1.1.1 improvements:
1. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8 (f/5.6 without the firmware update).
* Please see the "Lenses and Usable AF points" section of the revised instruction manual for more detail on the lens & camera combinations.
2. Displays the viewfinder information (such as the AF frames, grid, etc.) in red during autofocusing in AI Servo AF.
* When shooting in dark environments during AI Servo AF, the AF points can be easily confirmed.
* During AI Servo AF, the viewfinder will be lit intermittently, not continuously.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which the metering value of the AE sensor becomes incorrect and the captured images become pitch-black depending on the timing of lens attachment and/or detachment.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which Err 70 may occur during AEB shooting.
5. Corrects errors in the Arabic menu.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the firmware of the lenses cannot be updated normally.
The instruction manual has been revised consistent with the changes outlined in items 1 and 2 listed above. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual. You can download the latest instruction manual from our Web site.
(Previous) Version 1.0.6 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF Microadjustment cannot be correctly carried out.
2. Fixes a phenomenon such that when using the camera with combinations of certain lens*1) and extender*2), the images captured become back-focused.
*1) EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM or EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
When used with
*2) Extender EF 1.4x III or Extender EF 2x III
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which, when the camera is powered on in very dark environments
(including instances when the lens cap or the body cap is attached), Error 80 appears on the camera.
4. Fixes the following phenomenon: if two CF cards are inserted into the camera and the "Standard" or "Auto switch card" setting is selected for the recording method for [Record func+card/folder sel.], and then one of the CF cards is removed and then reinserted into the card slot, the card selected for recording and playing back images may be switched to the other CF Card.
5. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value is not correctly displayed in the EXIF information of the images captured.
6. Displays a "O" or "X" result to indicate whether images have been successfully transferred through the FTP protocol when using the WFT-E6 Wireless File Transmitter.