Please note that we suspended download services for Firmware Version 22.214.171.124.00 that was posted Tuesday November 13, 2013 due to a discrepancy in color balance. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Firmware Version 126.96.36.199.00 corrects this color balance discrepancy. Any cameras that are running firmware version 188.8.131.52.00 should be updated to firmware version 184.108.40.206.00.
Firmware Version 220.127.116.11.00 incorporates all the functions and modifications listed below:
EOS C300 Cinema EOS Camera & EOS C300 PL Cinema EOS Camera
1. Fixes a phenomenon where the previous Firmware Version 18.104.22.168.00 offered incorrect color balance.
2. Ability to move the magnification viewing area around the LCD using the MAGN Function.
3. Support for a 1440x1080/35Mbps recording mode.
4. ISO up to 80,000 has been added.
5. Added functionality to support the optional Canon GPS Receiver GP-E1.
6. A Key Lock menu setting has been added which now makes it possible to lock all operations, including the START/STOP button.
7. Using the optional Canon WFT-E6 Wireless File Transmitter, the camera's remote-control application allows two users to access the same unit via a Wi-Fi® link providing simultaneous camera operation and control and metadata input simultaneously.
8. [Lens Exchange] and [ND+/ND-] have been added as functions that can be allocated to any assignable button.
9. A new Wide DR Gamma setting provides an expanded dynamic range of 800%.
10. Flicker Reduction has been improved.
EOS C300 Cinema EOS Camera only
11. Provides Push Auto Iris and One-Shot AF operation.
12. A new AE Shift function and the selection of various light-metering modes are now available when used with some Canon Cinema lenses (EF mount) and Canon EF Lenses.
13. Ability to assign the two control dials to operate either Iris or ISO sensitivity independently.
14. Peripheral Illumination Correction Data has been added for seven (7) Canon Cinema lenses (EF mount) and fifteen (15) Canon EF Lenses.
15. A function has been added to enable continuous focus and iris setting on a subject in the middle of the screen when one of the two EF STM lenses** is attached.
**[EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM], [EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM].
Gamma information will not be shown correctly in the metadata of clips filmed on the Wide DR Gamma setting included in Firmware Version 22.214.171.124.00 and above when using the bundled software application Canon XF Utility Ver.1.3.1 or earlier. Therefore, we recommend our customers install Canon XF Utility Ver.1.3.2. The installer for this application has already been released.
Canon XF Utility 1.3.2 for Mac OS X
If your camera's firmware is already Version 126.96.36.199.00, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Once the camera is updated to the latest firmware version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
For further details, please refer to the latest version of the instruction manual for this product, which will be released at the same time as this firmware update.
Download the new version of the Instruction Manual for EOS C300, EOS C300 PL Cinema EOS Camera which provides more information on the new features and benefits available in this firmware update.
Preparations for a firmware update:
After the Firmware update has been performed, the camera's menu settings and custom picture settings will be reset. It is recommended that users save their menu and custom picture settings as settings data to an SD card, separate from the one that will be used to carry out the update, before starting update operations. This saved data can be loaded into the camera and the settings can be changed after the update has been completed. For further information on this, please refer to the section in the camera's user manual titled Saving and Loading Camera Settings.
EOS C300 Firmware Version 188.8.131.52.00 provides three preset custom picture files(CP) pre-sets: EOS Std., CINEMA and Wide DR. Wide DR will by default be assigned to C8 when Version 184.108.40.206.00 is installed.
If Custom Picture settings saved using an earlier version of the C300 firmware are loaded into a camera running Version 220.127.116.11.00, all in-camera CP settings will be overwritten by the saved data. The Wide DR preset will be replaced with the previous C8 (CINEMA), and will no longer be visible.
If you wish to utilise the Wide DR preset after loading saved settings, please edit one of the user?defined Custom Picture profiles (C1-C7) and use the reset function to select the Wide DR configuration. If required, the selected preset can be renamed and protected to provide a permanent Wide DR option.
Please contact the Canon support centre for further instructions on how to achieve this.
Once you load the setting data to the camera with the new firmware, you cannot write the data back to the camera with a previous version firmware.
The downloaded firmware folder contains the firmware (File Name: VIAB.FIM, File Size: 35,066,736 bytes) and a procedure manual for updating the firmware (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish and Simplified Chinese). Please check the firmware update procedure manual carefully before starting update operations.
The following things are required to perform this firmware update:
2. A computer (OS: Mac OS X)
OS Requirements: Mac OS X (10.6-10.8)
3. A 64 MB or higher-capacity SD memory card or an SDHC memory card (both commercially available)
4. A memory card reader (commercially available) or an SD memory card slot on the computer
5. A fully charged battery pack for the camera
6. Compact power adapter bundled with the camera
7. The firmware (the downloaded file)
Q1. Please tell me about the changes made in Firmware Version 18.104.22.168.00.
This firmware corrects a phenomenon that if the firmware is updated to Version 22.214.171.124.00, when Canon Log, EOS Std. or WideDR is selected through Cinema Locked, or CP's (Custom Picture) preset settings or ColorMatrix –Select option, there is a change in the color balance. Please note that the latest firmware also includes the following changes of Firmware Version 126.96.36.199.00.
(The changes made in Firmware Version 188.8.131.52.00.)
1. Ability to move the magnification viewing area to 25 points on the LCD.
2. Support for a 1440x1080/35Mbps recording mode.
3. ISO up to 80,000 has been added.
This raises the current maximum ISO sensitivity from ISO 20,000 to ISO 80,000. With this change, color footage can be taken of a subject in an environment that is so dark that it would have been highly difficult to identify the position of the subject.
4. Added support for the optional Canon GPS Receiver GP-E1 has been added, which provides a range of information about where and when each video clip was filmed.
5. A Key Lock setting has been added, which makes it possible to lock all operations, including the critical Record button.
6. The camera's remote-control application allows simultaneous access to the same unit via a Wi-Fi® link for separate camera operation/control and metadata input from two input devices. For this update, the environment in which the Wi-Fi Remote function can be used has been changed. Please refer to the FAQ for details.
7. [Lens Exchange] and [ND+]/[ND-] have been added as functions that can be allocated to any assignable button.
8. Wide DR Gamma that enables a wide dynamic range of 800% has been newly added. As this gamma is based upon BT.709, it matches well with TV monitors and enables filming with smooth gradation while suppressing blown out highlights.
9. Push Auto IRIS and One Shot AF operations, when used with Canon EF Lenses, have been made possible. (EOS Cinema C300 only)
10. AE Shift and selection of the metering system to be used have been enabled and an improvement in flicker (minute blinking in footage) correction has been achieved. (EOS Cinema C300 only)
11. Ability to assign the two control dials to operate either Iris or ISO modes. (EOS Cinema C300 only)
12. Peripheral Illumination Correction Data has been added for seven (7) Canon Cinema lenses (EF mount) and fifteen (15) Canon EF Lenses. Peripheral Illumination Correction Data corrects insufficiencies in peripheral illumination caused by the lens' optical characteristics when one of the seven Canon Cinema Lenses (EF mount) *1 or fifteen Canon EF Lenses*2 are attached. (EOS Cinema C300 only)
*1 The seven supported EF Cinema Lenses are [CN-E15.5-47mm T2.8 L S], [CN-E30-105mm T2.8 L S], [CN-E14mm T3.1 L F], [CN-E24mm T1.5 L F], [CN-E50mm T1.3 L F], [CN-E85mm T1.3 L F], and [CN-E135mm T2.2 L F]. Please note this firmware version does not include the [CN-E35mm T1.5 L F].
*2 The fifteen supported Canon EF Lens models are [EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM], [EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM], [EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II], [EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM], [EF500mm f/4L IS II USM], [EF600mm f/4L IS II USM], [EF28mm f/2.8 IS USM], [EF24mm f/2.8 IS USM], [EF40mm f/2.8 STM], [EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM], [EF35mm f/2 IS USM], [EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM], [EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM], [EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x], and [EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM].
13. A function has been added to enable continuous focusing and correct aperture on a subject in the middle of the screen when one of the two EF STM lenses is attached [EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM], [EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM]. (EOS Cinema C300 only)
Q2. How can I carry out a firmware update?
Please download the most recent firmware for this model from the Canon Web site and follow the procedure shown on the Web page to install it.
The changes made in Firmware Version 184.108.40.206.00.
1. Remote control of the WFT-E6 and Wi-Fi peripherals on an ad-hoc connection using iOS6/Safari has been made possible.
2. The polarity of the XLR terminal has been modified to improve compatibility with external audio devices. The pin configuration has been modified to be consistent with the description in the Instruction Manual. Before the Firmware update, the pin configuration for the XLR jack was (pin1: shield, pin2: cold, pin3: hot). After the Firmware update, the pin configuration for the XLR jack will be (pin1: shield, pin2: hot, pin3: cold). The XLR pin configuration meets the international AES standard recommendation. The firmware update will avoid the scenario where use of the unit in combination with a device of different polarity than the XLR terminals would result in reduced sound levels due to a reversal of the phase relationship.
The changes made in Firmware Version 220.127.116.11.00.
1. Some of the EF lens products that can be mounted on the camera can be controlled more reliably.
The changes made in Firmware Version 18.104.22.168.00.
1. Corrections to the Spanish and German language texts in the View Assistance function [View Assist.].
2. Efforts to correct image color fringing when a subject is of high contrast have been made.
The changes made in Firmware Version 22.214.171.124.00.
1. Minor corrections to simplified Chinese language menus.
The changes made in Firmware Version 126.96.36.199.00.
1. Genlock synchronization can now be used to synchronize the camcorder's 24.00P, 24.00PsF, 23.98P, and 23.98PsF input signals. By updating the firmware, the camcorder will also support the following signals, in addition to those it already supports.
1080/59.94i, 1080/29.97PsF, 1080/60.00i, 1080/23.98PsF, 1080/23.98P, 1080/24.00PsF, 1080/24.00P, 720/59.94P, 720/60.00P, 720/23.98P, 720/24.00P, 480/59.94i, 1080/50.00i, 1080/25.00PsF, 720/50.00P, and 480/50.00i
2. Adds the Korean language to the camcorder's menu.