Firmware Version 2.0.3 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.
1. Auto focusing performance under low-light conditions has been enhanced when performing focusing before shooting in AI Servo AF mode. The enhancement comes from the improvement in tracking capability for the first image in the low-light conditions.
2. The number of release parameters settings for the "AI Servo AF 2nd image priority" AF function has been increased to enable improved AF tracking in low light or maintain consistent high frames rates during continuous shooting.
3. The number of parameters for acceleration/deceleration tracking in the AF Configuration Tool will has been increased.
4. Exposure compensation can be performed when using manual exposure and ISO Auto.
5. The minimum shutter speed limit for ISO Auto has been increased with shutter speeds up to 1/8000.
6. A new function to keep the exposure constant by altering the ISO or shutter speed in manual exposure, when the aperture value changes when zooming or changing lenses has been added.
7. A new option has been added to orientation linked AF point to enable only the AF point to switch as you change orientation rather than both AF point/ AF area settings
8. A new option to continue to use the previously manually selected AF point as the initial starting AF point when switching to 61-point automatic selection has been added.
9. New customization of the Exposure metering and AF controls has been added for more flexibility.
10. The number of possibilities for controls to switch between one-shot AF and AI Servo AF using custom controls has been increased.
11. A function has been added to allow the playback and review of protected images only.
12. A phenomenon has been fixed in which the white balance may be disturbed by the timing of the shutter release when the drive mode is single shooting and a flash (E-TTL)is used.
Firmware Version 2.0.3 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.2.4 or earlier. If your camera's firmware is already Version 2.0.3, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
* The firmware update takes approximately seven minutes.
1) Once the EOS-1D X camera is updated to Version 2.0.3, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.2 through 1.2.4).
2) It is recommended that the latest application software*1 be used, once the EOS-1D X is updated to the new firmware Version 2.0.3 from older firmware (Versions 1.0.2 through 1.2.4). Certain previous versions of these applications do not support functions which are added by the new firmware.
You can download the latest application software from our Web site.
*1: EOS Utility version 2.13.30 or later
*1: Digital Photo Professional version 3.13.50 or later
3) Accompanying the enhancements to the functions, the instruction manual has also been revised. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual. You can download the latest instruction manual from our Web site.
Preparations for the Firmware Update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.zip) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.
* Extracting the downloaded file: Right-click the zip file, and then select Extract All to extract the file. The extracted folder contains the firmware (file name: 1DX00203.FIR / file size: 33,236,684 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese).
Before starting the firmware update operations, please confirm the contents of the download, and carefully read through the firmware update procedures.
(The following is the history of past firmware updates.)
Q: Are the improvements from previous firmware versions included in Firmware Version 2.0.3?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:
(Previous) Version 1.2.4 improvements:
1. Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
2. Reduces the time it takes to display the metering result on the LCD or Viewfinder when the meter has been activated.
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which a "Caution 02" message is unnecessarily recorded in the camera status log.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which continuous shooting pauses when using a Canon Speedlite.
5. Fixes a phenomenon, when the Canon GP-E1 is attached, in which the GPS device settings are reset to default settings when the camera has been powered off.
* This phenomenon occurs only with firmware Version 1.2.1.
* After changing the GPS device settings, please be sure to power off the camera before removing the battery. This will ensure that the camera's GPS device settings will be saved.
(Previous) Version 1.2.1 improvements:
1. The function to disable the Image size selection button has been added.
* Please see the instruction manual "EOS-1D X Firmware Version 1.2.x Additional Function" (PDF file) included in the downloaded firmware 1.2.4 folder for information on how to intentionally disable this button, after the firmware update 1.2.1 has been installed in the camera.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which Err 70 and Err 80 may occur during certain shooting conditions.
(Previous) Version 1.1.1 improvements:
1. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8 (f/5.6 without the firmware update).
* Please see the "Lenses and Usable AF points" section of the revised instruction manual for more detail on the lens & camera combinations.
2. Displays the viewfinder information (such as the AF frames, grid, etc.) in red during autofocusing in AI Servo AF.
* When shooting in dark environments during AI Servo AF, the AF points can be easily confirmed.
* During AI Servo AF, the viewfinder will be lit intermittently, not continuously.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which the metering value of the AE sensor becomes incorrect and the captured images become pitch-black depending on the timing of lens attachment and/or detachment.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which Err 70 may occur during AEB shooting.
5. Corrects errors in the Arabic menu.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the firmware of the lenses cannot be updated normally.
The instruction manual has been revised consistent with the changes outlined in items 1 and 2 listed above. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual. You can download the latest instruction manual from our Web site.
(Previous) Version 1.0.6 improvements:
1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF Microadjustment cannot be correctly carried out.
2. Fixes a phenomenon such that when using the camera with combinations of certain lens*1) and extender*2), the images captured become back-focused.
*1) EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM or EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
When used with
*2) Extender EF 1.4x III or Extender EF 2x III
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which, when the camera is powered on in very dark environments
(including instances when the lens cap or the body cap is attached), Error 80 appears on the camera.
4. Fixes the following phenomenon: if two CF cards are inserted into the camera and the "Standard" or "Auto switch card" setting is selected for the recording method for [Record func+card/folder sel.], and then one of the CF cards is removed and then reinserted into the card slot, the card selected for recording and playing back images may be switched to the other CF Card.
5. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value is not correctly displayed in the EXIF information of the images captured.
6. Displays a "O" or "X" result to indicate whether images have been successfully transferred through the FTP protocol when using the WFT-E6 Wireless File Transmitter.