Stop MotionAnimation Firmware
Stop MotionAnimation Firmware
Supercharge Your Stop Motion Animation
Whether using the pre-installed version or an upgraded version on the current models, the new Stop Motion Animation firmware increases your Live View resolution to 1920x1280 from Canon’s normal of 960x640 when connecting to compatible stop motion animation software, like Dragonframe. This makes it easy for animators to confirm focus and movement within every frame.
Larger Live View
Live view is critical to animators creating stop motion animation films. Animators use the remote live view of the camera to review critical details and make decisions within stop motion animation software, like Dragonframe. Canon’s Stop Motion Animation firmware increases the Live View to 1920x1280 - helping animators see subtle movement for refined animation.
This is a comparison of the new Live View resolution of 1920x1280 (full screen) versus the original size of 960x640 (small inset). The large preview image makes it easier for the animators to have confidence in the shot and can improve the overall quality of the scene.
USB Manual Focus Peaking
Canon has added Manual Focus Peaking over USB to interface with stop motion animation software, like Dragonframe.
Seeing Focus Peaking on the full screen allows the animator to precisely capture fine detail and adjust for desired depth of field.
Critical focus on a subject's eyes (red edge) gives the animator the confidence that the scene flows as directed.
As of July 9, 2021
• Focus Position Memory enabled on all EOS RF Lenses
• The Focus Position Memory feature allows for accurate manual focus of a subject. via computer control with Dragonframe software*.
• Set the Aperture Value via “Aperture Lock” function with Dragonframe software*.
• These features provide the advantages of a digital lens, without the disadvantages normally associated with them.
• The user gets computer-controlled aperture without introducing aperture-based flicker.
• The user also gets programmable focus without needing extra focus motor equipment.
Standard Firmware vs Stop Motion Animation Firmware Comparison Chart
|EOS R and EOS RP Features||Standard Firmware||Stop Motion Animation Firmware|
|Live View Resolution||960x640||1920x1280|
|Live View Manual Focus Peaking|
|Focus Position Memory*|
*Requires Dragonframe 5 software
Important information regarding EOS R and EOS RP Stop Motion Animation Firmware installed:
- HDMI output is not available
- [Disp. performance] cannot be set
- The shooting screen cannot be displayed with resolution of 1920 x 1280 pixels and MF peaking will
not show up even if [MF peaking settings] is set to [On] under the following conditions:
- When an EF-S lens is used
- When [Multiple exposure] is set
- When [Cropping/aspect ratio] is set to an option [1.6x (crop)]
- When the shooting screen is magnified
- When you keep holding down the shutter button after shooting
How to obtain the Stop Motion Animation Firmware
Anyone interested in utilizing these features with the Canon EOS R and EOS RP cameras can do so in one of the following ways