This firmware update (Version 220.127.116.11) incorporates the following changes.
1. Still images and movies in the MP4 format captured by the camcorder can be uploaded to an online album on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY using the Wi-Fi function.
2. Still images and movies in the MP4 format captured by the camcorder can be uploaded to Facebook or Twitter by operating the camcorder. (Images are first saved to an online album on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY, and then a link (URL) to the album will be posted on Facebook or Twitter.)
3. Movies captured by the camcorder can be uploaded to YouTube using the Wi-Fi function.
4. Still images and movies in the MP4 format can be uploaded to an online album on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY by operating the camcorder, and the user can share the link (URL) of the saved album with friends and/or families through an e-mail notification to the e-mail addresses that have been previously registered.
Accompanying the changes in the firmware, Canon’s CameraWindow software needs to be updated. Please follow the instructions below to update your computer to CameraWindow 8.8.
To update the computer to CameraWindow 8.8, a computer installed with ImageBrowser EX and a previous version of CameraWindow are required to be installed on the computer.
If these applications are not installed on your computer, please make sure to install ImageBrowser EX, which is included on the bundled Disc.
- Once the camcorder is updated to the latest firmware version, it cannot be restored to a previous version.
- By using the Wi-Fi function of the camcorder together with CANON iMAGE GATEWAY, the user can have access to various services on the Web. *To use the services provided by CANON iMAGE GATEWAY, a free membership registration is required.
1. Double-click the downloaded hfr3x-v1110-win.zip file. The file will be decompressed and hfr3x-v1110-win folder will be generated.
2. Double-click CW880W_Installer.exe in the folder.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to perform the installation. (If the User Account Control window appears, follow the message that is displayed to proceed to the next step.)
Preparations for the Firmware Update:
1. If you perform the update, the menu settings will be reset. After the update, please reset the custom settings to suit your personal preferences. *The wireless settings will not be reset.
2. In the folder you downloaded are the firmware (file name: VIB1.FIM / file size: 25403 KB), instructions on the firmware update procedures (Four PDF files in four languages: Japanese, English, French, and Spanish) and user’s guide (Two PDF files in four languages: Japanese, and English, French, and Spanish). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to carefully confirm your understanding of these instructions.
3. If the power is cut off during the firmware update, the camera will no longer turn on and will no longer be able to shoot. If this occurs please contact the Canon Customer Support Center.
4. Please use a fully charged battery pack and a Compact Power Adapter while performing the firmware update.
5. Please be absolutely sure not to turn the power switch on the camera to OFF during the firmware update.
6. If you use a household power source, please be careful about power outages.
7. During the firmware update, please do not open the card slot cover.
8. During the firmware update, please do not operate any of the camera's buttons, or switches.
The following items are required to perform this firmware update:
2. A computer installed with ImageBrowser EX and CameraWindow
OS Requirements: Windows 7 SP1 (32 bit/64 bit), Windows Vista SP2 (32 bit/64 bit),Windows XP SP3 (32 bit)
3. A 32 MB or higher-capacity SD Memory Card or an SDHC/SDXC Memory Card (both commercially available)
4. A memory card reader (commercially available) or an SD card slot on the computer
5. A fully charged battery pack for the camcorder
6. The compact power adapter that comes with the camcorder (AC adapter)
7. The firmware (the downloaded file)