2012 Canon VIXIA Camcorders Bring New Social Sharing Capabilities And Strong Low-Light Performance
Features Include a Newly Designed HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor to Improve Resolution, Enhance Low-Light Performance and Expand Dynamic Range
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., January 9, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new line of six VIXIA High Definition flash memory camcorders - three compact VIXIA HF M-series models and three entry-level VIXIA HF R-series models - for 2012. Focusing on the social network experience, Canon has enhanced select models with Wi-Fi connectivity, the option to capture videos in MP4 or AVCHD file format and full Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) compatibility, unleashing on-the-spot creative video sharing and still-image uploads. The MP4 file format option helps make content easier to share across mobile devices and to social networks online, while DLNA connectivity allows wireless transmission of videos to DLNA-compatible HDTVs. Encouraging users to shoot and share, the Canon VIXIA HF M52*, VIXIA HF M50*, VIXIA HF R32* and VIXIA HF R30* models have the ability to upload videos directly to social media sites such as YouTube and Facebook over a Wi-Fi network, or to mobile devices such as an iPhone or iPadi utilizing a free Movie Uploader app.
"Imaging devices are a key component of the interactive social experience, therefore, they must connect," said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. "We are excited to include Wi-Fi connectivity and DLNA technology, among other new features, in our new VIXIA models that will allow consumers to easily share high-quality videos with friends and families."
Canon has included a range of features and functions to help users capture stunning video to share including improved low-light image capture, a new Intelligent Image Stabilization (IS) system and the ability to capture MP4 video recordings. Canon has included dual codec recording, giving users the option to record in AVCHD, for the highest quality viewing on an HDTV, or in MP4 format, for easy sharing with mobile devices or social networks. The new 2012 VIXIA models feature a 20 percent improvement in low-light performance compared to previous models as a result of enhancements made to Canon's HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor. The sensor boasts a minimum illumination rating of 1.2 lux, Canon's lowest lux rating to date in a consumer HD camcorder.ii Another enhancement to select models in Canon's 2012 VIXIA lineup is the ability to export content directly to an external hard-disc drive through an optional USB adapteriii for simple file sharing and archiving without the need of a computer.
Advanced Technologies and Features:
- Share and view videos via Wi-Fi: Select models of the VIXIA HF M- and R-series camcorders include the ability to share, view and store videos wirelessly, including the ability to upload videos directly to YouTube and Facebook:
- Share: When connected to a Wi-Fi network, videos can be uploaded directly to YouTube or Facebook. When on the go, use an iPhone or iPad and free Movie Uploader app to connect a VIXIA camcorder to a cellular network to enable video uploads.
- Watch and Store: Select 2012 VIXIA camcorders allow users to wirelessly transmit videos to a PC for storage, an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch through a free Movie Uploader app enabling quick storage on these mobile devices, or on-the-spot playback for friends and family. Users can also enjoy wirelessly viewing on a DLNA-compatible HDTV or through other DLNA-compatible devices such a game console.
- Audio Scene Select: The Canon VIXIA HF M-series is equipped with a new Audio Scene Select menu that streamlines the selection of custom audio selection. Users select the environment that is being captured - a musical performance, a speech, a forest - and the camcorder will automatically adjust settings, including microphone directionality, frequency response, wind screen, volume level and microphone attenuator. While users will still be given the option to make these adjustments manually, the new audio settings menu makes the optimization of the audio levels quick and easy for casual users.
- Export to External Hard Drive: Consumers are starting to use external storage devices more and more to supplement limited amounts of memory on laptops. Select models of Canon VIXIA camcorders allow a direct transfer of video content from the camcorder to an external storage device, a process which historically required a computer as a conduit. Data transfers from the VIXIA camcorder to an external hard drive are accomplished through an optional USB adapter.
- Intelligent IS System: Canon has enhanced its Image Stabilization (IS) system, which automatically detects the needs of the situation being captured. The new Intelligent IS system will change intuitively through one of four IS modes - Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod - so that the user has fewer things to worry about while shooting video. When the record button is pressed and the subject is walking, the Intelligent IS system will employ Dynamic stabilization to help reduce camera shake automatically. However, if the subject is detected to be very close to the camcorder, Macro (or Hybrid) stabilization will activate to counter shift camera shake; if the subject is far from the camcorder at extreme telephoto distances, Powered IS will activate to help counter slow, large-scale camcorder shake.
Popular VIXIA Features:
The 2012 VIXIA lineup retains many popular features that make it easy to record outstanding HD video, such as Canon's Smart AUTO mode that intelligently detects and analyzes brightness, color, distance and movement to automatically select the best of 38 available pre-set setting selections for the scene being recorded. Canon's Touch & Track feature allows users to select any subject on the Touch Panel LCD screen with their finger, which the camcorder will then track to ensure sharp focus and proper exposure. The camcorders also include built-in Cinema-Look Filters that give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. Select 2012 VIXIA models have Relay Recording for seamless uninterrupted video recording from one memory source to the next. When the primary recording media is full, the camcorder continues to record the scene by switching to the next memory source, so that users won't miss a moment of action.
As an integrated part of Canon's Intelligent IS, the Powered IS feature provides a higher level of compensation for subtle hand movement at the telephoto end of the zoom range. In addition, all VIXIA camcorders with built-in memory feature HD-to-SD Downconversion, which enables users to convert recorded high-definition video to standard-definition files while preserving the original HD footage. These down-converted files make it even more convenient to share video online or create a DVD. Each new model is also compatible with Eye-Fi SD Memory Cards, allowing for wireless uploading of video content to a computer, social networking site or video sharing website.
VIXIA HF M-series
The Canon VIXIA HF M52*, VIXIA HF M50* and VIXIA HF M500* Flash Memory camcorders offer consumers stunning HD video in an ultra-sleek, compact and lightweight body, now 15 percent smaller when compared to 2011 M-Series models. Recording Full HD 1920 x 1080 video, the VIXIA HF M-series features a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens and Canon's enhanced HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor for high video resolution, outstanding low-light performance and a wide dynamic range.
All three models include Canon's newly designed Flat Touch Panel 3.0-inch LCD screen for a large display and an improved menu system and button layout, and now also record in MP4 file format to make content easier to share across mobile devices and online social networks. The VIXIA HF M52 and VIXIA HF M50 incorporate 32GB and 8GB of internal flash memory, respectively, and feature HD-to-SD Downconversion. They also include Wi-Fi connectivity, which enables the ability to upload videos wirelessly to YouTube and Facebook through use of an iPad or iPhone app. The models also include DLNA connectivity which enables wireless access to a DLNA-compatible device. The VIXIA HF M500 records directly to a SDXC-compatible card slot. The new VIXIA HF M-series is also compatible with the new Canon WP-V4 Waterproof Case, great for vacations, underwater videography, or any wet conditions. The VIXIA HF M52, VIXIA HF M50 and VIXIA HF M500 Flash Memory camcorders are scheduled to be available in March for an estimated retail price of $749.99, $649.99 and $549.99, respectively.
VIXIA HF R-series
The Canon VIXIA HF R32*, VIXIA HF R30* and VIXIA HF R300* Flash Memory camcorders offer the ideal combination of price and performance for the budget-conscious consumer who doesn't want to sacrifice on features such as Full HD 1920 x 1080 video. All three models, which are 21 percent smaller when compared with the R-series models from 2011, include a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with 51x Advanced Zoom, 3.28-megapixel Canon Full HD CMOS Image Sensor, a 3.0-inch full-flat Touch Panel LCD screen, Touch Decoration, Smart AUTO and Advanced Video Snapshot. New for the 2012 R-series lineup, all three models feature Canon's Intelligent IS with Optical Image Stabilization allowing the camcorders to automatically switch between stabilization modes for optimal image quality while recording. All three models feature MP4 file format recording while both the VIXIA HF R32 and VIXIA HF R30 include Canon's Relay Recording, HD-to-SD Downconversion and Wi-Fi uploading capabilities. The VIXIA HF R32 and VIXIA HF R30 models incorporate 32GB and 8GB of internal flash memory, respectively, and the VIXIA HF R300 records directly to a SDXC-compatible memory card slot. The VIXIA HF R32, VIXIA HF R30 and VIXIA HF R300 Flash Memory camcorders are expected to be available in March for an estimated retail price of $549.99, $449.99 and $349.99, respectively.
New Optional Camcorder Accessories
The new Canon WP-V4 Waterproof Case helps protect any of the 2012 VIXIA HF M-series camcorders in depths of water up to 130 feet, allowing users to capture exciting HD footage even underwater. This compact and lightweight housing seals the camcorder, allowing easy on-camera operation and control for all water sports activities such as scuba diving and whitewater rafting. The Canon WP-V4 Waterproof Case is expected to be available in March for an estimated retail price of $599.
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. With more than $45 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks fourth overall in patent holdings in the U.S. in 2010†, and is one of Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies in 2011. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.
* This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.
† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.
Availability, prices, and specifications of all products are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
i Users can transmit wirelessly MP4, AVCHD and MPEG2 files to Facebook and YouTube via an iPad or iPhone on a wireless network. When connected to a wireless network such as one in a home or internet hotspot, users can upload AVCHD and MPEG2 files to Facebook and YouTube via a personal computer, or MP4 files via Wi-Fi connection directly to Facebook, YouTube, Canon Image Gateway, Twitter or via email. Wi-Fi connectivity is available on the Canon VIXIA HF M52, VIXIA HF M50, VIXIA HF R32 and VIXIA HF R30 camcorders.
ii At 1/30 second in slow shutter mode
iii Optional UA-100 USB adapter sold separately. The function is available on the Canon VIXIA HF M52, VIXIA HF M50, VIXIA HF R32 and VIXIA HF R30 devices.
VIXIA HF M52 Flash Memory camcorder