Canon Support for EOS 6D | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Get started with these quick links.
Protect your product with CarePAK PLUS. Learn More
Purchase this product's accessories and more. Shop Now
Looking for help with your order? Order help
- Windows 11
- Windows 10 (x64)
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1 (x64)
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8 (x64)
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 (x64)
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista (x64)
- Windows Vista
- Windows Me
- Windows XP (x64)
- Windows XP
- Windows 98
- Windows 95
- Windows Server 2022
- Windows Server 2019 (x64)
- Windows Server 2016 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2003 (x64)
- Windows Server 2003 R2
- Windows Server 2003
- macOS Ventura v13
- macOS Monterey v12
- macOS Big Sur v11.0
- macOS Catalina v10.15
- macOS Mojave v10.14
- macOS High Sierra v10.13
- macOS Sierra v10.12
- OS X El Capitan v10.11
- OS X Yosemite v10.10
- OS X Mavericks v10.9
- OS X Mountain Lion v10.8
- OS X Lion v10.7
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6
- Mac OS X v10.1
- Mac OS 9
- Linux ARM
- Linux MIPS
- Linux 64bit
- Linux 32bit
Software Development Kit
The Canon EOS Digital Camera Software Development Kit (EDSDK) enables developers to integrate select Canon cameras directly into their software application solutions, giving them access to remote camera control and communication functionality of the camera. There are two versions of the EDSDK compatible with Windows or Macintosh.
The Software Developer Kit is provided free of charge and can be found at https://developercommunity.usa.canon.com. To learn more please visit the Canon Developer Community site and register to download Canon’s SDKs.
SETUP & TROUBLESHOOTING
Find answers in our extensive knowledge base with dozens of articles and curated Q&As to help you troubleshoot your issue yourself.
Our Knowledge Base with curated Q&As will point you in the right direction to troubleshoot your error code yourself. Be sure to search the error code you are struggling with along with your product model number in our Knowledge Base.
Effective: Approx. 20.2 megapixels
6.55 µm square
Approx. 20.6 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
|Color Filter System||
RGB primary color filters
|Low Pass Filter||
Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor
|Dust Deletion Feature||
(1)Self Cleaning Sensor UnitRemoves dust adhering to the low-pass filter.Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking 2 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking 8.0 sec.).(2)Dust Delete Data acquisition and appendingThe coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots. (3) Manual cleaning of sensor
Complies with Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and EXIF 2.30
Still: JPEG, RAW (14-bit, Canon original), RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM)
(1)Large: Approx. 20.0 megapixels (5,472 x 3,648)
(2)Medium: Approx. 8.9 megapixels (3,648 x 2,432)
(3)Small 1: Approx. 5.0 megapixels (2,736 x 1,824)
(4)Small 2: Approx. 2.5 megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5)Small 3: Approx. 350,000 pixels (720 x 480)
(6)RAW: Approx. 20.0 megapixels (5,472 x 3,648)
M RAW: Approx. 11.0 megapixels (4,104 x 2,736)
S RAW: Approx. 5.0 megapixels (2,736 x 1,824)
The following three types of file numbering methods can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the camera's card.
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
|RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording||
Large RAW and JPEG images are recorded simultaneously
sRGB, Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Auto, Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash), Custom (Approx. 2,000° - 10,000°K), Color Temperature (Approx. 2,500° - 10,000°K), White Balance Correction, and White Balance Bracketing
|Auto White Balance||
Auto white balance with the image sensor
|Color Temperature Compensation||
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
- Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
* Correction based on the current WB mode's color temperature.
|Color Temperature Information Transmission||
Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentaprism)
Vertical/Horizontal approx. 97%
Approx. 0.71x / 33.3°
Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
|Dioptric Adjustment Correction||
-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Eg-A II provided. Interchangeable with Eg-D and Eg-S. Incompatible with Eg-A.
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflection ratio of 40:60)
- AF information
AF points and focus confirmation
- Exposure information
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning
- Flash information
Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock
- Image information
Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
- Battery check
- Composition information
- Warning Symbol
Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
|Depth Of Field Preview||
Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection system with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8.
Upper and lower AF points: vertical line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.
Other AF points: Horizontal line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.
|AF Working Range||
Center AF Point: EV -3 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
Other AF points: EV +0.5 to 18 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)
- One-Shot AF
- AI Servo AF
- AI Focus AF
*Switches between One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF automatically.
|AF Point Selection||
|Selected AF Point Display||
Displayed or indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor.
|AF Assist Beam||
* With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, AF-assist beam is emitted automatically when necessary.
3)IR AF-assist beam only
* No AF-assist beam with flash bursts.
Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:
2)Partial metering (center: approx. 8% of viewfinder)
3)Spot metering (center: approx. 3.5% of viewfinder)
4)Center-weighted average metering
EV 1-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF50mm f/1.8 II lens, ISO 100)
|Exposure Control Systems||
(1) Program AE (shiftable)
(2) Shutter-priority AE
(3) Aperture-priority AE
(4) Manual exposure
(6) Custom shooting mode
(1) Scene Intelligent Auto (Program AE / non-shiftable)
(2) Creative Auto
(3) Special Scene
- Night Portrait
- Handheld Night Scene
- HDR Backlight Control mode
|ISO Speed Range||
For Stills:Manual setting range of ISO 100-25600 (expansion possible to ISO 50, ISO 51200 and 102400) in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
*1: It depends on [Minimum] and [Maximum] of auto ISO setting.
*2: If overexposure would occur with fill flash, the minimum ISO speed is ISO 100.
*3: Scene Intelligent Auto, Night Portrait and Handheld Night Scene modes are excluded.
*4: For bounced external flash when Creative Auto, Close-up, Landscape, Macro, Sports / P is set, automatically set between ISO 400–1600.
(1) Manual : ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
(2) AEB : ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
* Manual exposure compensation and AEB can be combined.
* The AEB shooting sequence will be standard exposure, underexposure and overexposure. With the self-timer, three continuous shots will be taken regardless of the current drive mode.
* The number of bracketed shots: 2, 3, 5, or 7 settable with a Custom Function.
Auto: Applied in One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved.
Manual: By AE lock button.
* During movie shooting, press the button for AE lock and press the button to cancel AE lock (not automatically cancelled).
* AE lock (cancelled automatically when metering timer is turned off) possible before movie shooting. Movie shooting can start while AE lock is set.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
1/4000 to 30 sec., X-sync at 1/180 sec. (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.)
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
|Shutter Lag Time||
(1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: approx. 0.060 sec.
(2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.144 sec.
* Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3.5 stops or less (Excludes AF operation time).
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering)
|Flash Exposure Compensation||
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
(1) Single shooting
(2) Continuous shooting
(3) Silent single shooting
(4) Silent continuous shooting
(5) 10-sec. self-timer/Remote control
(6) 2-sec. self-timer
|Continuous Shooting Speed||
Continuous shooting: Max. approx. 4.5 fps
Silent continuous shooting: Max. approx. 3.0 fps
Based on 8GB memory Card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 73 Shots
RAW: Approx. 14 Shots
RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: 7 Shots
Based on 8GB UHS-I memory card:
JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 1250 Shots
RAW: Approx. 17 Shots
RAW + JPEG Large/Fine: 8 Shots
* Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style).
Still photo shooting and video shooting
- FlexiZone - Single
* One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point is possible.
- Face Detection Live mode
* Face detection, contrast AF. Face is selectable.
- Quick Mode AF
* Phase-difference AF with 11 AF points.
- Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor.
(1) Evaluative metering (315 zones)
(2) Partial metering (approx. 11% of Live View screen)
(3) Spot metering (approx. 3% of Live View screen)
(4) Center-weighted average metering
EV 0-20 (at 73°F/23°C with EF 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
Provided (three grid displays)
Provided (Mode 1 and 2)
MOV (Image data: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo)
1920 x 1080 (30 fps/25fps/24fps):
235 MB/min. with IPB compression
685 MB/min. with All-I compression
1280 x 720 (60 fps/50fps):
205 MB/min. with IPB compression
610 MB/min. with All-I compression
640 x 480 (30 fps/25fps):
78 MB/min. with IPB compression
1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
1280 x 720 (HD): 60p (59.94) / 50p
640 x 480 (SD): 30p (29.97) / 25p
|Continuous Shooting Time||
Based on 8GB Memory card
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps/25 fps/24 fps:
32 min. with IPB compression
11 min. with All-I compression
[1280 x 720]
60 fps/50 fps:
37 min. with IPB compression
12 min. with All-I compression
[640 x 480]
30 fps/25 fps:
97 min. with IPB or All-I compression
* The maximum recording time is limited to 29 min. 59 sec.
- FlexiZone - Single
* One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point is possible.
- Face Detection Live mode
* Face detection, contrast AF. Face is selectable.
- Quick Mode AF
* Phase-difference AF with 11 AF points.
- Manual Focus
1.Magnified view is not possible during video shooting.
Full Range (0-255)
(1) Program AE for movie shooting
* For shooting modes other than manual exposure and bulb.
* Shutter speed 1/30 - 1/4000 sec. (Signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* For manual exposure.
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed (auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for 24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps depending on the frame rate.
Provided (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
* For movies, even if exposure compensation has been set beyond ±3 stops, exposure compensation up to only ±3 stops will be applied.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
3.0-inches (Screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
7.7cm diagonal (6.37cm wide, 4.25cm high)
Approx: 1,040,000 dots
Manually adjustable to one of 7 levels
Resin cover and anti-reflection AR coating
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Single image display
- Two types of single-image full display, two types of shooting information
- Index display
4-image index and 9-image index
- Jump display
Jump 1/10/100 images, Shooting Date, Folder, Movies, Stills, or Rating
* Two-image comparative display is not provided.
With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink.
Brightness and RGB can be displayed.
When you press the Quick Control function button under the following conditions, you can set the functions below:
*The settable functions depend on the shooting mode
(1)With viewfinder shooting:
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, Wi-Fi®, Picture Style, white balance, white balance correction, Auto Lighting Optimizer, Custom Controls, AF operation, AF point selection, Drive mode, metering mode, and image recording quality.
Image protect, image rotate, rating, RAW image processing, resize, highlight alert, AF point, and image jump with mode dial.
Erase protection can be applied/canceled for a single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the card.
Erase single image, erase selected images, erase all images on folder, erase all images in a card, or erase only unprotected images.
RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
* Movies cannot be printed.
Complies to DPOF Version 1.1
20 Custom Functions
The following camera controls can be customized by assigning the desired function: Shutter button halfway pressing, AF-ON button, AE lock button, Depth-of-field preview button, Lens AF Stop button, SET button, Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, and Multi-controller
|My Menu Registration||
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
|Video Out Terminal||
(1) AV stereo OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal (Type C)
One Battery Pack LP-E6
- With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6, AC power is possible.
- With Battery Grip BG-E13, two battery packs (LP-E6) can be used. Or six AA-sized/LR6 batteries can be used
1)Camera Body Only:
∗With a fully charged battery pack LP-E6. Based on CIPA testing standards.
2)With Battery Grip BG-E13:
∗With a fully charged battery. Based on CIPA testing standards.
Automatic battery level check when power is turned ON
Battery level indicated in six levels.*1,2,3
*1 Battery level displayed on LCD panel and in viewfinder.
*2 Battery information can be checked with the [Battery info.] menu.
*3 If Battery Grip BG-E13 is used with size-AA/LR6 batteries, the battery level is displayed in four levels instead.
Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
* [Auto power off] settable to 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min., 15 min., 30 min., or disable
Built-in secondary battery
When battery is fully charged, the date/time can be maintained for 3 months. Requires about 8 hours to fully recharge the backup battery.
Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards)
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||
Approx. 5.7 x 4.4 x 2.8 in./ 144.5 x 110.5 x 71.2mm
Approx. 26.7 oz. / 755g (CIPA standard)
Approx. 24.0 oz. / 680g (Body only)
|Working Temperature Range||
|Working Humidity Range||
85% or less
EOS DIGITAL CAMERA LIMITED WARRANTY
For The U.S.A. And Canada Only
The limited warranty set forth below is given by Canon U.S.A., Inc. (Canon U.S.A.) in the United States or Canon Canada Inc., (Canon Canada) in Canada with respect to the Canon brand EOS Digital Camera (the “Product”) *, when purchased and used in the United States or Canada. The Product purchased with this limited warranty is the only EOS Digital Camera to which this limited warranty applies.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. and Canon Canada Inc. (collectively "Canon") warrant to the original end-user purchaser, when delivered in new condition in its original container, that the Product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of original purchase. Product returned to a Canon repair facility and proven to be defective upon inspection will, at Canon’s sole discretion and without charge, be (a) repaired utilizing new, remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts; (b) exchanged for a new Product or; (c) exchanged for a refurbished Product, as determined by the Canon repair facility. Warranty exchange or replacement does not extend the original warranty period of the Product.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER ANY ACCESSORIES. This limited warranty shall only apply if the Product is used in conjunction with compatible computer equipment and compatible software, as to which items Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, shall have no responsibility. Non-Canon brand equipment and software that may be distributed with the Product are sold "as is" and without warranty of any kind by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, including any implied warranty regarding merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and all such warranties are disclaimed. The sole warranty, if any, with the respect to such non-Canon brand items is given by the manufacturer or producer thereof.
This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in the following cases:
- Loss of or damage to the Product due to abuse, mishandling, improper packaging by you, alteration, accident, electrical current fluctuations, failure to follow operating, maintenance or environmental instructions prescribed in Canon U.S.A.'s or Canon Canada's user's manual or services performed by someone other than Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada, or a Canon authorized service provider for the Product. Without limiting the foregoing, water damage, sand/corrosion damage, battery leakage, dropping the Product, scratches, abrasions or damage to the body, lenses or LCD display or damage to the any of the accessories mentioned in the first paragraph above will be presumed to have resulted from misuse, abuse or failure to operate the Product as set forth in the operating instructions
- Use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon U.S.A. or Canon Canada) that cause damage to the Product or cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems
- If the Product has had its serial number or dating altered or removed.
NO IMPLIED WARRANTY, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, APPLIES TO THE PRODUCT AFTER THE APPLICABLE PERIOD OF THE EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTY STATED ABOVE, AND NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTY OR GUARANTY, EXCEPT AS MENTIONED ABOVE, GIVEN BY ANY PERSON OR ENTITY WITH RESPECT TO THE PRODUCT SHALL BIND CANON U.S.A. OR CANON CANADA (SOME STATES AND PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU)..NEITHER CANON U.S.A. NOR CANON CANADA SHALL BE LIABLE FOR LOSS OF REVENUES OR PROFITS, INCONVENIENCE, EXPENSE FOR SUBSTITUTE EQUIPMENT OR SERVICE, STORAGE CHARGES, LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA, OR ANY OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE OR MISUSE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE EOS DIGITAL CAMERA, REGARDLESS OF THE LEGAL THEORY ON WHICH THE CLAIM IS BASED, AND EVEN IF CANON U.S.A. OR CANON CANADA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL RECOVERY OF ANY KIND AGAINST CANON USA OR CANON CANADA BE GREATER IN AMOUNT THAN THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT SOLD BY CANON USA OR CANON CANADA AND CAUSING THE ALLEGED DAMAGE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK AND LIABILITY FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY TO YOU AND YOUR PROPERTY AND TO OTHERS AND THEIR PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF USE OR MISUSE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE PRODUCT NOT CAUSED DIRECTLY BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF CANON USA OR CANON CANADA (SOME STATES AND PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU). THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT EXTEND TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THE PRODUCT, OR THE PERSON FOR WHOM IT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT, AND STATES YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY.
You may obtain technical support** for your Product as follows:
E-mail support via our Web site at www.canontechsupport.com
Telephone assistance from a Canon U.S.A. Customer Care representative free of charge during regular business hours at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)
You may obtain technical support* for your Product as follows:
Telephone assistance from a Canon Canada Customer Care representative free of charge during regular business hours at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666)
When you call, have your Product serial number and your date of purchase available to expedite service. A Canon Customer Care representative will attempt to diagnose the nature of the problem and correct it over the telephone. If the problem cannot be corrected over the telephone, you will be asked to follow the applicable procedures for MAIL-IN SERVICE. Note that a dated proof of purchase is required at the time of service. This requirement will be satisfied by providing a copy of your dated bill of sale.
** Technical support program specifics subject to change without notice.
MAIL-IN SERVICE is a program under which your Product is repaired by a Canon U.S.A. or a Canon Canada authorized service center for the Product. Authorized service center information can be obtained by visiting www.canontechsupport.com (US customers only) or by contacting the Canon U.S.A., Customer Care Center or Canon Canada Customer Information Centre at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666). You will be given the name, address and phone number of an authorized service center.
It is your responsibility to properly package and send the defective Product, together with a copy of your dated proof of purchase, a complete explanation of the problem and a return address to the authorized service center at your expense. Do not include any other items with the defective Product. The Product covered by this limited warranty and proven to be defective upon inspection will be repaired and returned to you without charge by the authorized service center. Any Product received by the authorized service center that is not covered by the limited warranty will be returned unrepaired, or at the discretion of the authorized service provider, you may receive a written estimate of repair at such cost as the service center may establish from time to time.
This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state (or province to province in Canada).
*The battery pack packaged with the Product carries a separate ninety (90) day limited warranty.
SUPPLIES & ACCESSORIES
Still need some help? In order to get more personalized and faster support, we recommend registering your product in your Canon Account
Still need some help? In order to get more personalized and faster support, we recommend visiting your Canon Account to explore your options