Canon Support for GPS Receiver GP-E2 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
GPS Receiver GP-E2
Get started with these quick links.
- Windows 11
- Windows 10 (x64)
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1 (x64)
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8 (x64)
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 (x64)
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista (x64)
- Windows Vista
- Windows Me
- Windows XP (x64)
- Windows XP
- Windows 98
- Windows 95
- Windows Server 2022
- Windows Server 2019 (x64)
- Windows Server 2016 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003 R2 (x64)
- Windows Server 2003 (x64)
- Windows Server 2003 R2
- Windows Server 2003
- macOS Ventura v13
- macOS Monterey v12
- macOS Big Sur v11.0
- macOS Catalina v10.15
- macOS Mojave v10.14
- macOS High Sierra v10.13
- macOS Sierra v10.12
- OS X El Capitan v10.11
- OS X Yosemite v10.10
- OS X Mavericks v10.9
- OS X Mountain Lion v10.8
- OS X Lion v10.7
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6
- Mac OS X v10.1
- Mac OS 9
- Linux ARM
- Linux MIPS
- Linux 64bit
- Linux 32bit
Software Development Kit
The Canon EOS Digital Camera Software Development Kit (EDSDK) enables developers to integrate select Canon cameras directly into their software application solutions, giving them access to remote camera control and communication functionality of the camera. There are two versions of the EDSDK compatible with Windows or Macintosh.
The Software Developer Kit is provided free of charge and can be found at https://developercommunity.usa.canon.com. To learn more please visit the Canon Developer Community site and register to download Canon’s SDKs.
SETUP & TROUBLESHOOTING
Find answers in our extensive knowledge base with dozens of articles and curated Q&As to help you troubleshoot your issue yourself.
Our Knowledge Base with curated Q&As will point you in the right direction to troubleshoot your error code yourself. Be sure to search the error code you are struggling with along with your product model number in our Knowledge Base.
GPS logging accessory
- Automatic geotagging when shooting supported by EOS-1D X and later cameras (EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 7D: supported with a firmware update)
- Manual geotagging after shooting (from logging information) supported by all EOS DIGITAL cameras When the EOS 7D is used with the GP-E2 the following restrictions will apply:
a)geotagging function will not work for movies while recording
b)geotagging features will not work for movies when using the Map Utility
c)electronic compass information and automatic time setting is not available
d)transmission via the hot shoe is not possible
1575.42 MHz (L1 band)
* L1 band: Frequency allocated for civilian use. Other frequencies include the L2 band (military use) and L5 band (high-precision civilian use).
Every 1, 5, 10, 15, or 30 seconds, or every 1, 2, or 5 minutes
Shown on the GPS indicator (red)
Before signal acquisition: Fast blinking
Signal acquired: Slow blinking
Direction calculated using a triaxial geomagnetic sensor and triaxial acceleration sensor
Every 1, 5, 10, 15, or 30 seconds, or every 1, 2, or 5 minutes
|Log File Format||
- Images can be geotagged using Map Utility with log files.
- Log files can be converted to KMZ files using Map Utility. Routes the camera has traveled can be viewed in Google Earth or other map software by loading the KMZ files.
|Power Switch set to On||
Location information (latitude, longitude, altitude, direction, and UTC time) is automatically added to images EXIF information when taking pictures.
|Power Switch set to LOG||
- Location information (latitude, longitude, altitude, and UTC time) is recorded on GPS Receiver GP-E2 at the specified interval. - Location information (latitude, longitude, altitude, direction, and UTC time) is automatically added to images Exif information when taking pictures.
|Connected to a Computer||
Supports the following operations when GPS Receiver GP-E2 is connected to a computer and Map Utility is used to access GPS Receiver GP-E2's log files. - Import logs to the computer
- Delete logs
- Manually geotag shots without GPS information by adding
location information (latitude, longitude, altitude, and UTC time) to image EXIF information
- View a route of where the camera has traveled on a map
- Produce KMZ files from log files
- Update EOS 7D firmware
Set GPS time data on the camera
* Requires signal acquisition from four or more satellites.
1. High-precision time adjustment: ±TBA sec.
* Margin of error relative to UTC time.
* High-precision time adjustment is only available for EOS-1D series cameras (EOS-1D X or later).
2.Normal time adjustment: ±1 sec.
1.Auto update: After satellite reception when the GPS Receiver GP-E2 is turned on
For direct camera connection
For connection via dedicated interface cable
* Transmission via cable is used if the GPS Receiver GP-E2 is attached to the hot shoe and connected by cable
One AA/LR6 Alkaline Battery (NiMH and lithium batteries supported)
At normal temperature (23°C/73°F)
*Battery life when using AA/LR6 alkaline batteries.
*Less recording time will be available when logging under unfavorable positioning conditions.
Indicated by the battery check lamp (red)
- Level OK: Slow blinking
- Low battery: Fast blinking
- Replace battery: Off
32 to 104 °F / 0 to 40 °C
85% or less
|W x H x D||
Approx. 2.1 x 2.9 x 1.7 in. / Approx. 54.3 x 72.9 x 44.2 mm
*According to CIPA guidelines
Approx. 81 g/ Approx. 2.86 oz.
*According to CIPA guidelines
CANON PROFESSIONAL DIGITAL VIDEO EQUIPMENT LIMITED WARRANTY FOR PRODUCTS PURCHASED IN THE UNITED STATES
The limited warranty set forth below is given by Canon U.S.A., Inc. ('Canon USA') with respect to Canon Professional Digital Video Equipment (the 'Equipment') packaged with this limited warranty and purchased in the United States. This limited warranty is only effective upon presentation of your Bill of Sale or other proof of purchase. The Equipment is warranted to the original end-user purchaser, when delivered in new condition in its original container, under normal use against defective materials or workmanship as follows: Parts: Defective parts will be exchanged for new parts or comparable rebuilt parts for a period of ONE YEAR from the date of original purchase. Labor: For a period of ONE YEAR from the date of original purchase, labor will be provided free of charge by Canon USA's factory service centers or designated service facilities located in the United States. When returning Equipment under this warranty, you must pre-pay the shipping charges, and you must enclose a copy of the Bill of Sale or other proof of purchase with a complete explanation of the problem. During the ONE-YEAR warranty period, repairs will be made and the Equipment will be return-shipped to you free of charge. For repairs after the warranty period is over, you will be given an estimate of the cost of repair and an opportunity to approve or disapprove of the repair expense before it is incurred. If you approve, repairs will be made and the Equipment will be returned to you at your risk and expense. If you disapprove, we will return-ship the Equipment to you at no charge to you to an address within the United States.
This limited warranty only applies if the Equipment is used in conjunction with compatible computer equipment and compatible software, as to which items Canon USA will have no responsibility. Canon USA shall have no responsibility under this limited warranty for use of the Equipment in conjunction with incompatible peripheral equipment and/or incompatible software. Non-Canon brand peripheral equipment and software which may be distributed with, or factory loaded on, the Equipment, are sold 'AS IS' without warranty of any kind by Canon USA, including any implied warranty regarding merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The sole warranty with respect to such non-Canon brand items is given by the manufacturer or producer thereof. If the Equipment contains a hard disk drive, Canon USA recommends that data stored on that drive be duplicated or backed up to prevent its loss in the event of failure or other malfunction of such drive.
In order to obtain warranty service, please contact the authorized Canon retail dealer from whom you purchased the Equipment or contact the CANON INFORMATION CENTER AT 855-CINE-EOS (855-246-3367) or on the internet at pro.usa.canon.com/support. You will be directed to the nearest service facility for your Equipment.
This Limited Warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Equipment and does not apply in the following cases:
- Loss or damage to the Equipment due to abuse, mishandling, accident, improper maintenance, use of non-Canon accessories or failure to follow operating, maintenance or environmental instructions prescribed in Canon USA's user's manual;
- If the Equipment is defective as a result of leaking batteries, sand, dirt or water damage;
- If defects or damages are caused by the use of parts or supplies (other than those sold by Canon USA) that cause damage to the Equipment or that cause abnormally frequent service calls or service problems;
- If defects or damages are caused by service other than Canon USA's factory service centers or authorized service facilities;
- Any internal modification to product hardware or firmware;
- Any applicable fee for Maintenance of the Equipment;
- If the Equipment has had its serial number or dating altered or removed.
This Limited Warranty does not apply to Equipment purchased outside the United States. This Limited Warranty does not apply to accessories or consumables for the Equipment, which are sold "AS IS", without warranty of any kind by Canon USA. Please retain this warranty card and your Bill of Sale as a permanent record of your purchase. This card ensures that you are contacted promptly should there be a safety inspection, modification or product recall under applicable laws or regulations.
NO IMPLIED WARRANTY, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE APPLIES TO THIS EQUIPMENT AFTER THE APPLICABLE PERIOD OF EXPRESS WARRANTY OR GUARANTY (EXCEPT AS MENTIONED ABOVE) GIVEN BY ANY PERSON, FIRM OR CORPORATION WITH RESPECT TO THIS EQUIPMENT SHALL BIND THE UNDERSIGNED (SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU). CANON USA SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR LOSS OF REVENUES OR PROFITS, EXPENSE FOR SUBSTITUTE EQUIPMENT OR SERVICE, STORAGE CHARGES, LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA STORED ON THE EQUIPMENT'S HARD DRIVE, OR ANY OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE THE EQUIPMENT, REGARDLESS OF THE LEGAL THEORY ON WHICH THE CLAIM IS BASED, AND EVEN IF CANON USA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOR SHALL RECOVERY OF ANY KIND AGAINST CANON USA BE GREATER THAN THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE EQUIPMENT SOLD BY CANON USA AND CAUSING THE ALLEGED DAMAGE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK AND LIABILITY FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY TO YOU AND YOUR PROPERTY AND TO OTHERS AND THEIR PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE THE EQUIPMENT NOT CAUSED DIRECTLY BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF CANON USA (SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU). THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT EXTEND TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THIS EQUIPMENT OR THE PERSON FOR WHOM IT WAS PURCHASED AS A GIFT.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
CANON U.S.A., INC
SUPPLIES & ACCESSORIES
Still need some help? In order to get more personalized and faster support, we recommend registering your product in your Canon Account
Still need some help? In order to get more personalized and faster support, we recommend visiting your Canon Account to explore your options